Friday, March 15, 2013

FINGERNAILS

As many of you know, I have chewed my fingernails for years.  Since I was a child.  There were times when I got older that I would try and grow nails but never had any luck.  The draw of nail chewing was just too much.

There was a period that I went through getting my nails done in acrylic and even went as far as getting my own nail tech license to make the "big bucks"!  What a joke that was.  Never made enough to cover the cost of all the supplies I bought.

Having your nails done in acrylic is very bad.....and I MEAN VERY BAD!!!.  It damages the nail beds, causes ripples and ridges in your natural nails and even can cause fungus's that ruin your nails forever.

I have always lamented that my nails have always been so thin and easy to break and split and even worse....peel.  My sister, Joan and my Mom, always had really hard beautiful nails but alas they got all the calcium and left me with none.....lol.

Last year, I heard about a new nail technique that did not damage your nails but made them strong so they could grow better.  About 8 years ago I quit biting my nails but still lamented they wouldn't grow out before they would break, chip, split or peel.  So I decided to try this new technique.  It's called gellac but pronounced...Shellac..  You heard me right.  It's pro-nounced just like the clear stuff they put on furniture.

Whether it is the same stuff, I could not tell you but I do know that I am extremely happy with the results.  I've had them done four times now and my nails have NEVER looked better.  I do have to warn you though...some of the techs seem to want to use the little electric grinder to take off the shellac when you go back for re-do.  DON'T LET THEM...THIS DAMAGES YOUR NATURAL NAIL.  Have them use a buffer pad.


I've included a couple of pics of my nails...this time I just left them with clear but have had color and french.  It all works well.

No comments: