Monday, August 24, 2009

Canning Pears

We have a couple of pear trees outside in the yard. They are very tall. They were loaded with pears this year and Danny remarked he'd like to have some canned pears, so I told him to get me some and I would try. Well, he finally got up there yesterday evening and I peeled, cored and cut them up. Made up a batch of syrup and cooked the pears for about 15 minutes in the syrup. Then I packed the jars( with Christopher's help) after placing a 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick in the bottom of the jar. Filled the jar with syrup and cooked them in the canner in a hot water bath for about 30 minutes. They turned out beautiful.

We opened a jar up tonight and tasted them. They were delicious. I had to threaten Ambre. Jamie tried to sneak out with a jar. So he said he would climb up the high ladder tomorrow and get the rest out of the top of the tree if I would make some more so they could have some. I'll make them some but someone is going to help peel and core.

No comments: